Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Travel Log #4

While traveling around the world, I like to write journal entries for some of my more favorite places i've been to, and some crazy things that have happened, and well, here it is.

After crossing the Tigris river and other cities, I found myself in the city of Bhagdad.  When I arrived, the city was not of the beauty it was in its glory days that I had heard about while traveling, Some 69 years ago, Mongols paved a path of death and destruction in their hopes to conquer the whole world  or something like that, and they left catastrophic damage in their wake to the city.  Nonetheless, the magnificent bazaars were laid out beautifully.  The of  code social behavior in Bhagdad was exactly the same to that in Tangier, it was a pleasant reminder of home.  While staying in Bhagdad, the memories of visiting the Holy City were so vivid and wonderful I was determined to return to Mecca and make a second hajj.  Just as I was preparing to leave, the Sultan himself invited me to accompany him in his caravan which was heading north.  I accepted, curiosity being my main motivation.  For about 10 days I travelled with Sultan Abu Sa'id until I decided we would temporarily go our separate ways.  I thanked him for the food and water etc and went through the cities of Shiraz, Isfahan (which I thought was AWESOME), and then to Tabriz.  I regret being only having stayed 1 day in Tabriz because I didn't have the chance to meet any of their scholars.  However,  If I was to receive the supplies and food for my second intended hajj, I would need rejoin the caravan and to go to my required audience with the Sultan.  I fell sick again as I headed to Mecca once more with supplies in hand, but that didn't dampen the excitement and joy I felt as my eyes indulged themselves on the great Kaba.  I was exhausted.  I stayed in mecca for a good long year or so, recuperating from what seemed to me at the time as an epic journey.  Soon I would hit the road again to explore what lay beyond the Red Sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment