Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Rihla ~ to wrap things up

Years later, in 1354, I returned to Fez where Sultan Abu 'Inan listened with a look of enthusiastic look mixed with curiosity to my stories of great travel.  He deemed my stories worth being written down to be remembered, so I dictated my writing to Ibn Juzayy, a scholar/poet.  It was given a less than exciting name of "The Rihla"  I worked in the Moroccan legal system as a judge.  So far its popularity remains minimal, i'm not even sure how many people know it exists.  Each criminal I put away, I hope I made my parents proud.  Funny that even as an old man, my childhood wanting to impress my parents somehow remains unchanged.
People who know me ask me: "Why did you decide to spend your entire life traveling the world?  Was it worth it?"  Im not quite sure, but something about the unknown just waiting to be discovered fascinates me.  And was it worth it? Absolutely.


How cool would it be id about 700 years from now, The Rihla gains popularity and students research me and my journey?  nah- maybe thats just wishful thinking, but who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment